Get to Know Us
We love to make new friends... so let's begin with a little bit more info. Even if you're a familiar face, you might still learn something surprising about The Akeman in Tring.
General manager: Rachel Wyatt
Head chef: Gary Smith
We like to do what we can to support local causes. For us, that includes raising money for the Woodland Trust through sales of our much-loved comfort dish pork belly (25p for every one we sell) – as well as donations for the charity’s raffles and auctions. Since opening in 2007 we’ve been a sponsor of our beloved Tring Rugby Club and Tring Cricket Club, and we’re extremely proud to continue to do so.
We care about the wider world we live in, and doing what’s right for the planet – from our steadfast commitment to buying only British meat from friendly farmers, free-range eggs and sustainably sourced fish right through to printing our menus on FSC-approved paper. Read more about our philosophy.
Built on the ancient Roman road of Akeman Street in 1901, our building was designed by acclaimed local architect William Huckvale – and we’ve worked hard to restore several original features, including the fireplace in the bar and the Victorian façade.
Our trophy cabinet
- Food Hygiene Rating of 5 - Food Standards Agency
- Best Pub Employer of the Year 2015 winner - Publican Awards
- Best Community Pub Operator 2015 winner - Publican Awards
- Best New Pub/Bar 2015 winner - Publican Awards (The Beech House, St. Albans)
- Best Employer 2014 - Springboard Awards of Excellence
- Best Housekeeping Development Strategy 2014 winner - Springboard Awards of Excellence
- Sustainability accreditation – Sustainable Restaurant Association
- All Day Dining Pub of the Year finalist, Highly Commended – The Great British Pub Food Awards
- Best Community Pub Operator 2014 winner – Publican Awards
- Best Pub Employer of the Year 2014 winner (finalist 2013) – Publican Awards
- Best Pub Design 2009 winner – The Publican Awards